"Not sayin' I'm the best. . . but 'til they find somethin' better, I am here, no fear, write me a letter. . ." -3 Stacks
New Era (eFashion Solutions)

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Judge this shit for yourself: Dai Katamy


Listen: http://www.zshare.net/audio/6884882341b9e304/

1. What makes you different and/or better than some of the more popular producers (Swizz Beats, Kanye West, Madlib, etc) in the game right now?

Not better than anybody... yet. Haha. I think what makes me different is the way I approach things... a lot of times my emotion at the moment shapes the beat in every aspect, from the drums, to the chops, to the choosing of the sample even. I try to use it as my voice.

2. Why do you love hip hop?

As aggravated as I get with the people running the output of hip-hop in the mainstream, you know, the ones who control what people hear on the radio... what keeps me in love with hip-hop is the variety... the different kinds of approaches that artists take, mostly producers. One producer might take a piano, a bass guitar, real drums, and make a masterpiece...and another producer can take those recorded live instruments and ABSOLUTELY FLIP IT into something JUST as melodic with chops alone. That's what keeps me wanting to put a ring on it… Haha.

3. Why should we/I give a fuck?

I'm not doing what most producers from my area are doing, even though it's not the popular style. I let what I grew up with (80's baby, grew up in the 90s) influence how I approach things.

Blogger commentary: if you want more info, hit this nigga on Twitter: @DaiKatamy

No comments:

Post a Comment