"Not sayin' I'm the best. . . but 'til they find somethin' better, I am here, no fear, write me a letter. . ." -3 Stacks
New Era (eFashion Solutions)

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

OH SHIT! Ro can spit. . !! Hmmm. . .


Off top's, all I had really heard from Detroit rapper and entrepreneur 'Ro Spit' was his song Renaissance State Of Mind, which is his version of Hov's Empire State Of Mind, but about Detroit (duh). . . I heard this song while I was actually in Detroit, and I loved it. . . and not just in a sentimental way, it is actually a very catchy song. That being said, I didn't really know what to expect from this project that he just dropped. . . that he has tweeting about. . . all day. . . I'm just sayin'.

All that being said, and also given that I rarely listen to 'new music' cause I am too busy listening to 'old music' aka Slum Village, I decided, not only was I going to listen to this new project, I was going to write about it. . . So here we fuckin' go:

Track one: Too Easy
So we're cocky now huh? I see. . . Well, good thing your voice doesn't annoy me, as that's usually the first thing that kills things. . . Next. Hmmmm, how do I say this. This better be the last track you talk about Twitter on, or else you are gonna be on some Mistah Fab status. . . and that's not a good thing. . . Other than that, I have to admit, this song didn't annoy me as much as it could have, considering. . . Talking about twitter and coming off SUPER cocky usually turns me off right away, but the beat wasn't anything bad, and Ro Spit definitely can rhyme. . .

Track two: What A Feeling
From jump this beat draws me in. . . it's lightweight dark, and it has a classical feel to it, which I personally love. . . The flow is moderately aggressive, which is also a sound that I favor, so I was pretty happy from go with this track. . . but. . . there is definitely something about it that wasn't quite my style. . . perhaps it was the label name dropping? I'm just sayin'. . .

Track three: Hold My Strap
Oh the beat. . . OH THE BEAT. . . and then the flow? This track is where I fell for this project. . . This track is INCREDIBLY witty, and what I had hoped to hear from this artist. This track has so much wit, it's going to go over some people's heads, but that's just how I like my music, smart. This is an all around incredible track and should be played. . . repeatedly. . .

Track four: Scream @ Me
Ummm. . . hmmmm. . . This track is not bad. . . per say. . . it's just fairly generic sounding. . . the chorus especially, it's like 'you couldn't come up with anything better than this?'. . . To go from the last track to this was a bit disappointing, though I will admit, the beat is hot, but that's pretty much this tracks only redeeming quality. . . This is the first track that I really didn't like, unfortunately.

Track five: Eff The Po's
After that last track I was a bit afraid of what was to come. . . this track killed that worry. . . from the Hov opener (and ya'll know I ain't even on Hov like that), to the beat, to the flow, the song is hawt. . . it's just. . . kinda short.

Track six: I Do Me
Ahhh, there's that cockiness again. . . Here's the thing about that. It's EVER PRESENT on this project. . . if you are okay with that sort of thing, you won't have an issue with this. . . Beyond that, I was feelin' this track. The beat is nice. . . "I speak fly nigga fluently" is a classic line, which this song, and it seems like this whole project, is full of. . .

Track seven: Leave Me Alone
This nigga got beats!!?! Cot damny. . . having 14KT produce your shit is DEF a good thing. . . if I were to, let's say, use my crappy Bay Area slang to describe this song, I would say something like 'IT CRACK', or 'that shit SLAP nigga'. . . I'll be honest, the chorus 'haters get your paper, and leave me alone' isn't the most thoughtful I've ever heard. . . but so what, this track is good enough that it doesn't have to be. . . I'm just sayin'.

Track eight: I'm Booked
Ummm. . . was that a Twitter mention? Yeah, moving on.

Track nine: Burn Rubber
Oooooooh. . . that's better. . . and is that 14KT I hear? Yes, this is what I want from you. . . a beautiful beat, a real rhyme. . . this track is immediately getting put into a personal playlist of mine and getting repeat privileges among the Detroit greats (Dilla, SV, Guilty, Invincible, etc). . . The ONLY problem I had was that track was that it wasn't longer, simply because I wanted to hear more. Bravo. Welcome to what hip hop should be about.

Track Ten: Needing To Win
At first I kinda thought the beat of this (another 14KT gold prod) track was gonna outshine the rhyme. . . Mentioning 'cheddar', 'swag', 'rocking chains' etc, is usually cheesy track sign numero uno (keepin' it multilingual here) but then I heard "I'm what the French call 'Le coolest nigga ever'", and I couldn't help but smile. . . the genericness of some of the lines is more than compensated for by the other MUCH better and more original lines. . .

Track eleven: Muthafu#*as
I'm not gonna lie, this is not my favorite track. . . the beat is. . . not on point, and it was lightweight annoying. . . you can only hear 'muuuuuthaaafuuuuccckkkkkaaaaaa' so many times before it's like 'okay, enough'. . . Even for me. . . I'm just sayin'.

Track twelve: #1
This is a fun track. . . the beat is a bit video gamish, but the line up (Curtains, Big Sean, and Bun B) make it impossible not to like. . . Nothing really more to say, it's a fun track, so have fucking fun with it.

Track thirteen: 80's Baby
Oh no you did not use that Hov quote that got him BOMBED on by Cam. . . really? REALLY?! Okay. . . let me refocus. . . wait, no, I gotta go listen to 'You Gotta Love it'. . .

Track fourteen: Levi Denim
Am I the only one getting tired of people rapping about their hate for skinny jeans? But you make a song about. . . ummm. . . other. . . jeans. . ? Ummm, okay. . . This is a great beat, and it made the song. . . the flow was lackluster on this one. . . I can see that Ro Spit's demise will be a generic flow, IF he let's that happen. . . though I hope that's not the case, cause he could be great, if he would stop talking about shit that EVERYONE else talks about. . .

Track fifteen: Warm It Up
I immediately recognized the flow on this track as not being Ro Spit's, but as another familiar Detroit native, MarvWon. . . I also immediately recognized that this beat was hawt as well. . . and not 14KT. . . interesting. Moving right along, the opening lines of MarvWon are smart, yet fun, and of course, funny, which seems to be his signature. . . Next came Ro Spit, and his flow was equally good, but not in the same way, which was nice. . . it was a bit harder, yet not humorous, which works well, cause too much of a good thing is still too much. . . this, in my opinion, is one of the best tracks on the project, and really showcases the talent that Detroit has to offer.

Track sixteen: Arts & Crafts
This track is a bit dark, but I appreciate that, and basically. . . it's an all around solid track. . . being 16 tracks in, unless something is incredibly good or incredibly bad, I am not gonna have too much to say about it, cause I have already reviewed 15 of these other mothafuckas'. . . I'm just sayin'.

Track seventeen: Stop, Drop, Roll
The only thing I would add to the statement I made about track 16 for this track is that this beat is MAD. . . I will def be checking out the producer (Koen) to see if this was a one shot deal or if he is just that good. . . well met. . . otherwise, refer to the review of track 16. . .

Track eighteen: Do You
Refer to track 16's review. That is all.

Track nineteen: Yours Truly
Ummmm. . . this beat sounds like it belongs in a science fiction film. . . and the 'potty talk' off tops is a bit much. . . usually you gotta work into that sort of thing. . . it's kinda like going out on a first date and greeting your girl with an ass grab. . . it's a bit much for the beginning. . . feel me? Moving on. The chorus of this song is great, and gives the weird alien feel of the beat something it definitely needs. . . I didn't start to really like this track until I heard the second verse though, which in my opinion is far superior to the first. . . Also, don't think I didn't recognize the Invincible reference in there. . . that was hawt. . . It's an interesting song though, one that I feel like would grow on me after some time, but off tops, it's just. . . kinda. . . weird. . .

Track twenty: Verse Collage
I am gonna be honest. . . this is potentially the longest track. . . ever. . . in life. . . but it's GREAT, so I can't even hate on that. . . I feel the vibe, it's quite impeccable and it showcases Ro Spit's real talent. . . With every switch up, the flow style doesn't change that much, but it still fit's the change in the beat, and. . . well. . . it's hawt. . . it sounds like what hip hop SHOULD sound like. . . it's not particularly fun, or funny, or witty, or aggressive, or . . . well, anything really. . . it's just good. Raw talent with no games or gimmicks. . . If you're a truely good rapper, you don't have to be funny, or mean, or anything in particular. . . if you're good, you're just good. . . and Ro Spit is just good. That's all I can say about it.

Track twenty one: Renaissance State Of Mind
If you were paying attention, you already know I love this song. This song made me wish I was from Detroit, and it's that good, because that shit's a hard sell. . . I am from Calfornia after all. . . From the vocals, to the, albeit, ripped, beat, to the flow, you can sense the pride radiating off of it's creator over his city. Also, the chorus, 'it's our music the world lives and dies too, our song's will inspire you' could not be more true, especially for Dilla fanatics like myself. Detroit is unappreciated by the masses as one of the hub's of straight up and down amazing hip hop, and Ro Spit, in my humble opinion, is doing his part to contribute to that legacy.

Overall, I can honestly say, I was really feelin' this project. . . Granted, there were some tracks I wasn't feelin' so much, but I cannot say that's uncommon, especially for a 'hater' aka picky ass bitch like myself. I feel like the majority of this album is a great step forward for hip hop, especially considering the quality of music most new rappers are putting out these days. It's RARE to find a newer cat that's not labeled 'conscious' or 'indie' that sounds decent, so if you are looking for one, his name is Ro Spit, and you should definitely check out his new project, and then tell all your little fucking friends about it. . . I'm just sayin'!

http://rospit.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment