"Not sayin' I'm the best. . . but 'til they find somethin' better, I am here, no fear, write me a letter. . ." -3 Stacks
New Era (eFashion Solutions)

Saturday, November 28, 2009

You had me at Sweet Pea. . . and by 'had me' I meant made me seriously question you: Consumer X


1. Who the fuck are you? (Alias, oldness factor, place I should avoid if I never want to see you, etc. . .)

My Mama call me Sweet Pea, but I’m EL3G to the world. I'm one of many in the Hip Hop Collective OkiZoo (http://blog.okizoo.com/) & I'm a Host and DJ on http://www.gtownradio.com/ Wed 8-10pm EST. Currently in Philadelphia, 28 years old and life's a blessing.

2. Describe hip hop in one word, then explain your word choice. . .

Freedom. Hip Hop is an artistic commitment to seize freedom. Its origins began as an outlet to express oneself, and in doing so you become free. Free from the bullshit of your daily life, just free in the music. That feeling you get from Hip Hop is freedom.

3. Favorite MC (current vs. all time)?

Current: Elzhi (of Slum Village)
All Time: Black Thought (of The Roots)


4. Why the fuck do I care? What qualifies your opinion on the subject?

I have a great ear for music. Born in 81, Hip Hop has been a part of my life since the beginning. I live, breathe, eat, shit, hip hop so I think that makes my opinion on it valid.

5. If you had to boil what hip hop truly is down to three albums, what would they be? Explain.

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Those three albums kinda cover the bases when it comes to hip hop.

You got your East Coast Rap w/ PE.
You got your Conscious, thought provoking, Underground Rap w/ The Roots.
You got your West Coast, Gangsta Rap w/ NWA.

Honorable Mention goes to Outkast - Aquemini. They hold it down for the South.

6. You may not be Dave New York, but I still wanna know. . . How do you feel about radio hip hop?

I don't fuck w/ it. Only radio I like is Internet Radio & College Radio. At least w/ those mediums you won't hear the same wack ass song over and over again.

7. In your opinion, are hip hop and rap the same? Are the words interchangeable? Why or why not?

Rap is rhyming on a beat. Hip Hop is the culture and the 4 elements Rap, DJing, Graffiti, Bboying. They're really not interchangeable, since Rap is just one part of Hip Hop.

8. Best producer in the game?

Madlib. His catalog is crazy, he really focuses on the music and he's a crate digga for real. If Dilla was still around he'd hold the crown tho.

9. What's your guilty pleasure in terms of music? The stuff you wouldn't want ANYONE to catch you listening to.

Honestly I don't think I have one. If the music is suspect or wack to me I don't listen to it. Everything I do listen to I bump that shit loud in an attempt to get someone to ask me what I'm listening to. I can't call it.

10. Do you like Jay-z? If so, for the love of god, explain why. . .

I can't knock the hustle. I don't like him as a person tho. Reasonable Doubt was dope, and still gets play in my rotation, but he just kind of rubs me the wrong way. Plus that nigga fell off as a lyricist. He should have retired the first time he said it.

11. Who is the one rapper out right now that you feel does not deserve the success they have? Why?

Gucci Mane... how the fuck did this dude get on? I mean do I really have to even explain why, he's terrible, just terrible. I can't knock the hustle tho, I'm not a hater.

12. Who is the one rapper out right now that deserves more success than they have currently? Why?

Blu, that guy is dope. He made a classic album w/ his debut but he gets little shine from the mainstream. Even you mentioned how dope his album w/ Exile, 'Below The Heavens' is. I just wish MTV or BET would take notice to some of his videos.

If you never heard of Blu, "Judge This Shit For Yourself" --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0VxX1y-1M

13. "I'm tryin' to be one of the best, period. Not just one of the best with breasts and a period. . ." -Invincible . . . How do you feel about the fact that you are being interviewed by a girl that thinks she knows more about hip hop than you ever will?

Well I doubt you know more than me, but I know that you are a fly woman w/ a good ear for music. So I feel real good about it.

Blogger commentary: I'm gonna need for your answers to not be so similar to what mine would be. You're like a non-asshole version of me. Which makes you automatically less cool. . . so I win. That is all.

1 comment:

  1. lol @ non asshole version of you :0p

    you know i'm dope woman, don't play :0)
    blog.okizoo.com

    ReplyDelete