"Not sayin' I'm the best. . . but 'til they find somethin' better, I am here, no fear, write me a letter. . ." -3 Stacks
New Era (eFashion Solutions)

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Okay. . . what's the fucking deal with all this whining?


I am as guilty of this as anyone else. I sit on my couch, I channel surf, I find music videos, or an award show. I watch. I complain. "Why is mainstream hip hop such garbage?". "Can't they come up with a more original idea for a music video? I mean, ass shaking is great, but c'mon son!". "Is that? Did he just? What the fuck?!! I HATE THIS SHIT."

We have all been there, watching, or listening to something, that we knew damn well is garbage, and not worth our time. Our response? Do we stop? Nope. We continue. . . we just complain endlessly about it.

This wouldn't be such a problem except, A. I hate hearing people complain, and B. As long as we continue watching, we are showing support for whatever it is we are complaining about, whether it be inadvertent or not.

Let's think about this shit. When you watch the BET awards, or the AMA's, or the MTV video music awards, or music videos, etc, even though you may think that all your nasty comments the shows and how stupid they are 'mean something', they don't. The reality of the situation is, while you are burning up your time on something you purport to disdain, you are lining the pockets of the exec's of the companies putting on these monstrosities by sitting there and continuing to watch them. . . even though you. . . ummm. . . you know, hate them or whatever.

I don't know about you all, but I don't like handing money over to organizations and/or causes I supposedly have no respect for, dislike intensely, think fell off, etc. I also don't like wasting my time consuming that same shit. . . so this begs the question. . . why? Why do we do this? Why do we watch and listen to this shit that we claim we can't tolerate, and then proceed to talk shit about it endlessly?

In my opinion, it comes down to a few options: 1. We don't hate this shit as much as we claim to. Maybe you are crying 'Weezy sucks' while on Twitter. . . all the while bumpin' 'The Carter III' on your lap top. I have noticed that it has become 'cool' to be a hater. . . of things you don't even real hate. . . this concept perplexes me, because, if you don't REALLY dislike something, why claim to? Why do you give that much of a fuck about what other people think that you can't even be honest about what you truly like and dislike? I'm just sayin'.

Option 2: We're all just a bunch of whiny bitches that derive pleasure from subjecting ourselves to basic bullshit that we can't stand. This seems like it could be a fairly viable option as well. Americans love to complain. We have this sense of entitlement that allows us to go around acting like all this bad shit is being forced on us, when half the time, we put it upon ourselves. Think of it like this. I happen to think whole milk is gross and is the equivalent of drinking clumpy liquidise fat. Just looking at whole fat milk disturbs me, and I haven't had any to drink since I was about 8, and even then, it was because my parents forced me. That being said, let's just say I were to roll over to Safeway and pick up a gallon of it. Then let's say, I got home, poured myself a nice, big, tall, frosty, gelatinous glass of the shit, sat on my couch, got on Twitter, and tweeted all about how much this glass of milk disgusted me as I drank it. Why the fuck would I do that? How much of a fucktard would doing that make me? Subjecting myself to something I damn well know I am gonna hate, and then complaining about it endlessly. See the correlation? I'm just sayin'.

Now, it would be a different situation if I went to my fridge, poured myself a glass of what I thought was nonfat milk, and drank it, only to find out it was whole milk, and complained endlessly about that. That shit WOULD be foul. But just like the fucking award show situation, if I know full well what I am getting into beforehand, I have no one to blame but myself for my unhappiness with the situation, and it would seem that I certainly have no right to complain about it.

Alternately, if you know that you hate some of these things like award shows, and whole milk, gremlins, Drake, the smell of popcorn, facial tattoos, etc, and you decide to not have anything to do with them, THEN you can complain. Because you aren't willingly participating in something you supposedly can't stand. I, as it were, can talk about how much whole milk disgusts me. I won't. . . well. . . anymore. . . because I don't want to come off like any more of a whiny bitch, but I would be fully within' my rights as a sensical individual to do so.

On that same token, by not consuming something I dislike, I am saying much more with my actions than I ever could with my words. Example: if all the people who claimed they hated BET stopped watching BET, BET would probably go out of business. . . If we all aligned our actions with our words, half the things we complain about on a constant basis, especially in entertainment, would more than likely no longer be an issue. I think people fail to realize that the entertainment industry is all about money. If money is being made, then things are going to continue as they are. Why the fuck wouldn't they? Here's a little hint: If you really hate BET, and you really want to fuck them, don't talk about how bad a station they are while you sit there watching 106 and Park (I actually had to go look up the name of a BET show, CAUSE I DON'T WATCH BET. How awesome is that?), because that ain't doin' shit. Either admit that you love them, or stop watching, and really fuck them over.

Anywhos. . . (c) DOOM. In looking at these two options, the first being total dishonesty with yourself and others about your preferences, and the second being whiny bitchassnesss, I am not sure which is worse, or more prevalent, or. . . well. . . anyway. Sidebar: don't think I don't see the irony in the picture I used for this post. . .

I just want to say this, if watching these lame ass award shows (your words in many cases), and bitching to your hearts content gives you some sort of bizarre pleasure, even though you claim it does nothing but make you hate. . . you know. . . life. . . or whatever, for the two hours they're on, do your thing. Who am I to judge? BUT. . . if you are on some 'I have to act like I hate Young Money because liking Young Money means I have bad taste in music' type shit. . . grow a pair. If you like something, you like it. Period. And truly, you shouldn't give a FUCK what anyone else thinks about you for that. Yeah, I may think you are a loser with bad taste in music, but, who the fuck am I? And yes, maybe you are a loser with bad taste in music, but at least be one that stands for something. Don't be a coward who conforms to what people think is acceptable, because in the end, you're reppin' you, not them.

If you truly hate these award shows, music videos, mainstream radio stations, etc, turn them off. It's really not that hard to do. They are not being forced on you, and plenty of people have managed to get through life without them. By not consuming them, not only are you saving yourself from severe unhappiness, but you are breakin' them for they scrill! What could be better than that? BUT. . . if you can't seem to manage that, then at least, do us all a favor and stop complaining about them. It doesn't make you look cool, or above it. . . it makes you look like YOU THINK you're better than what you are consuming. It's a desperate form of self praise, and to quote one of my hero's, John Madden, "Self praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for Something.". On that same token, like I said from jump, I am guilty of this at times as well, and this article was written to check myself, as much as it was written to check others. All I'm sayin' is, let's think about what we're doing, who we're supporting, what we're saying, etc, and it's literal effect. That is all.

1 comment:

  1. I think we watch these things hoping that they won't dissapoint us, or for the comedic value within. For example --> http://twitpic.com/ql7dq J-Lo busted her ass tonight on the AMA's. I tuned in to lmao, and I did.

    I do agree w/ you tho, If you claim to hate something so much why waste your time watching, or even talking about it. Go watch something that you like.

    Don't hate, congratulate or keep it moving.

    ReplyDelete