"Not sayin' I'm the best. . . but 'til they find somethin' better, I am here, no fear, write me a letter. . ." -3 Stacks
New Era (eFashion Solutions)

Monday, November 9, 2009

My peoples need hope, and I'm the one with it. . .


I am not gonna lie, I needed a late pass on this album. . . I didn't hear it until over a year after it came out, and even then, I didn't give it a serious listen until about 6 months or so after that. . . In my defense, I throw myself into every album I really listen to. . . that means a few things: 1. I don't give a good listen to that much shit. . . I am too busy listening to old shit I love, or the new(ish) current album I am currently obsessed with. 2. If I hear something new that I love, I pour myself into that album totally and completely until I have heard it so much I literally cannot stand listening to it anymore. . . and then I listen to it some more. . . and then I am done. This process is usually about a month long, and it involves listening to the same album as many as 15 times a day. . . I told you.

Now, all that being said, by the time I really gave Below The Heavens a chance, I was late. . . but fuck it, better late than never. . . or whatever. Upon first listen I attached myself to the song "So(ul) Amazin'". . . That fucking song is gorgeous. . . the beat is. . . and the lyrics are. . . well, so(ul) amazin'. . . The song is refreshing, witty, original, and unlike anything I had heard at the time. . . At the time I heard it, I was in desperate need of something new and good from the Hip Hop world, and I got it in the form of this MC/producer combo called Blu and Exile.

When I heard that song, 'So(ul) Amazin'', I was sold. . . the rest of the album could have been garbage, but I would have still raved about Blu and Exile being the second coming. Thankfully, though, the rest of the album was not garbage. . . quite the opposite actually, as the shit is GOLDEN. . . It's rare that I can listen to an album all the way through. . . and this album is no exception, as I don't listen to two of the tracks on it, but it's damn close to being a straight through life changing album. . .

You might be wanting to know which two tracks I remove when I listen to this album, but why? Listen to the album for yourself, if you haven't already, and you can decide if any of the tracks need to be removed for you to enjoy the album. . . and if you have already heard it, you either love it or you don't already. . . This is an album that I am really adamant about people experiencing for themselves because I think it's THAT important. I don't mind telling you I love it, because maybe. . . just maybe. . . if you haven't listened to it already, my glowing recommendation with convince you to give it a listen, but you need to experience the whole of it for yourself. . . trust me, this is not an album that you want to have never listened to from top to bottom before you croak. . .

Nearly every song is on point, both lyrically and in terms of beats. . . now-a-days its rare to find a new kid coming with so much blatant talent, that you might be damn near thrown off by this album. . . the new kid being Blu, not Exile. . . Though I personally couldn't relate to most of the words this album put forth, which usually causes me to dislike an album (to an extent). . . but the words Blu is throwing at you are expressed in such a way that. . . it's like you're getting the chance to peer into the life of someone else. . . Blu paints an vivid picture of his life, his struggles, his feelings, etc. . . and Exiles beats are the canvass that the picture needs to get to us. . . they just work together beautifully, and you don't need to relate to them to enjoy it. . . at least I don't. . .

I honestly once said about this album that my life would be complete if I had someone to lay on my bedroom floor, hold hands, stare at the ceiling, and listen to this album on repeat with. . . it's THAT good. . . I'm just sayin'.

"Drink sippin', letting my mind spin..
Thinkin' about my mom and pops..
How they designed this nigga..
A mix of Al Green and Pac..
Rock the soul tracks, rappin' bout survivin' on the block.."

No comments:

Post a Comment